Saturday, May 29, 2010

Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake

I love blueberries and this is a really good recipe to throw them in. I took this one from Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. I got the book less than a year ago when I first started my baking craze and out of the ones I've made only one was I not super sold on. It was good but not my favorite. This one is not that. I love this one. This is the second time I've made it. The first I did it in a loaf pan because that was all I had available. I would not recommend it. The way the batter is you don't want to use a loaf pan because it takes to long to cook the middle and the edges are too tough. The kiddos who shared this seemed to enjoy it as well.

Very simple recipe:
1 1/3 Cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp plus a pinch salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1 Cup (packed, as if there were any other way) light brown sugar
1/2 Cup whole milk
1 pint blueberries fresh if you have them, frozen (but not thawed if you need to go frozen)

Optional:
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and butter an 11x7" baking pan to set aside.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and 1/8 tsp of salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat the egg whites, together with a pinch of a salt, until they form peaks. Set aside or if you need to use the same bowl, gently scrap the whites into a clean bowl for holding.
Put the butter and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg yolks and beat for 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half the dry ingredients, then all the milk and then the remainder of the dry stuff.

Switching to a rubber spatula gently fold in the egg whites. The egg whites will deflate because the batter itself is so heavy this is ok just work as gently as you can. Once the egg whites are folded in still working with a light hand fold in the blueberries and scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 35-40 min or until golden brown. Let cool but eat warm if possible. You can dust with confectioners' sugar before serving if you'd like.

I don't have my regular pictures of all the steps but I do have a final product picture to share.

No comments: