Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The deep south

Pecan pie and it's pronounced PeeCan just so ya know. I'm from Texas, I don't have much of an accent to speak of so I'm told. But there are a few area's in which it comes out and that's the fact that I say Ya'll, the fact that it's PeeCan not Pehcon, and the fact that tea only comes in sweet.

Now some people say that making pecan pies are one of the hardest pies to make. I've never had any trouble with them. Last night I tried a new recipe cause my recipe book with my mom's recipe in it is packed away out of sight somewhere and The Sister wanted to have a pecan pie and I didn't mind making one. So I found a recipe on All Recipes again and followed it to the letter. It was a simple one to make. The first one I've seen that doesn't involve light corn syrup which intrigued me and is why I went with that recipe.


1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.


The pecans in this one didn't rise to the top the way the normally do and I think I'd actually try it with more next time than the cup that it called for. As I said in my previous post The Brother really enjoyed it and wants to use the recipe but I'm not sure I'd use it again. I might tweak it abit and see what comes of it we shall see. I did let The Sister know that if she bought another bag of pecans I'd make another pie so we'll see if that happens. If it does of course I'll post here and let ya know how it works. It did taste good The Sister went back for a second slice the same night so that's a good vote of confidence.

No comments: