Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Eggs eggs eggs

So I was in the mood for a quiche. Having never made one I pulled up a couple of recipes got an idea of the ratio on what to put in it and away I went to the grocery store. Cheese, eggs, spinach, crab (yum.)
I ended up making 2 one for me and The Brother and one for The Sister. She doesn't eat crab and me and he both love seafood.

So we started each one off with
4 eggs
1 cup half and half
quarter bell pepper chopped
1 & 1/2 cup fresh grated baby swiss
3-4 artichoke hearts (I got marinated ones for this)
salt & pepper to taste
aprox 1 tsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic if you like it's not an exact recipe)



Once we got the basics out of the way we switched up the main ingredients one for a spinach/bacon and one for a crab quiche.


On the crab one I added about a cup of crab to the above mix and for the spinach & bacon one I added about a cup of chopped spinach 4 slices of bacon roughly chopped and pre cooked in the pan. The Sister's recommendation is to make sure it's fried up rather crispy. I also added some diced up green onions into hers.

I baked them both about 40 min in a 350 degree oven. I appeared to over cook them because they got a bit watery and The Brother said that was like over cooking scrambled eggs.

Even a bit watery they were good. Everyone here seemed to enjoy them. I think I'll play with the spices a bit more if I do one next time. I enjoyed the flavor of the bell pepper but didn't so much care for the texture. But that's a personal thing for me.

My opinion of quiches make them your own. Once you have the basic down play with it and throw in random things that you want to eat and enjoy.

No comments: